Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Charles Day Interview




The Horror Librarian: What's your approach to crafting a story?  Are you a panster or an outliner?

Charles Day: I'm an outline type of writer as of late.   I used to just write what I was seeing in my head as I developed a story, but after learning a great deal from my mentors about structuring and plotting, I've been doing better with placing scenes on index cards, and writing outlines to a story idea I have.
The Horror Librarian: Your YA novel, The Legend of the Pumpkin Thief, was recently nominated for the Bram Stoker Award.  What do you like best about writing YA horror?
Charles Day: It brings me back to my happy place as a child. I truly miss all the wild and fun things I did as a kid. So when I write YA, I can get into the mind of my lead character and  go back to having fun doing all the things I admired in my youth. In fact, many of the characters and the scenes I created in Pumpkin Thief were actually some of my pals, and a few things my friends and I did  while running amok on Halloween. We caused terror and mayhem. The only thing missing, no Pumpkin Thief. Thank God!

The Horror Librarian: You're involved in some cool stuff with the Horror Writers' Association such as the mentor program.  Can you tell us a little about that?  Also, what other benefits can aspiring writers find in professional organizations?

Charles Day: Sure. The Mentor Program is designed to place aspiring writers both published or soon-to-be-published, or those who desire to be published some day, with authors who have been successfully published. We have many mentors who also are true professionals and bring so much to the mentor program. Once you're a paid mentor you can sign up for our program. there is a waiting list, but it can move quicker when new or recent mentors are ready to take on another mentee.

Professional organizations are key to helping a writer's career. Now, bear in mind, there are many out there. You need to do your research and find the ones that will help you the most. The Horror Writers Association is the best there is for horror writers.  Great folks, true professionals, and so damn helpful, it's a most for any horror writer.
The Horror Librarian: Tell us about Evil Jester Press.  What can we expect to see this year?  What projects can we look forward to?

Charles Day: We have a line-up of books that will take us into 2014, but we are opening for submissions soon. We are re-designing our website, but you can find up to the minute information on our facebook page. 

We have also recently opened a new division, lead by the super talented, Taylor Grant, our editor-in-Chief, and co-owner. We have some great things coming.

The Horror Librarian: What are you working on right now?

Charles Day: I'm finishing final edits on my YA western horror/fantasy trilogy, Book 1: THE HUNT FOR THE GHOULISH BARTENDER,  and I have two novels-in-progress, IMMORTAL FAMILY (YA) and SUMMER CAMP (Middle Grade), both under the professional wings of Joe Nassise, who's my writer coach for a one year program he offers.

And I'm working on developing a comic book/ graphic novel series for my YA western horror trilogy. I have a few artists and a co-writer  on board. 

I'm also working on some art projects, as I love to draw.

The Horror Librarian: List five things that are currently on your writing desk.
Charles Day: This interview! The two books I just mentioned, my laptop, and the Evil Jester, who's always beside me.

Thanks, Charles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be published pending the Horror Librarian's review.